(as at July 2003)
1. This Club shall be called “The Acid Fast Club”. The objects of the Club shall be scientific and social and will include communication and discussions on original work relating to acid-fast bacilli, excluding purely clinical observations. The communications shall comprise an account of original and preferably unfinished work.
2. Persons actively engaged in research on acid-fast bacilli shall be eligible for membership. The total number of members shall be restricted to eighty.
Members resident overseas may be elected as “‘overseas members’. this category is limited to 10 individuals who pay the same annual subscription as ordinary members, and have the same voting rights when present at business meetings. Any overseas member failing to attend one meeting in two years could be asked to resign.
The Club award honorary membership to members. The number of overseas and honorary members shall not count in the total membership.
3. The officers of the Club shall be a Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer. These officers shall be elected by the Annual General Meeting, Nominations for election shall be sent in writing to the Secretary not less than one month before the Annual General Meeting.
The Chairman shall be appointed for three years, the last of which shall overlap with the first year of office of the succeeding Chairman.
The Secretary and Treasurer shall be appointed for one year, and shall be eligible for reappointment but shall not hold the same office for more than three consecutive years.
4. The Committee shall be responsible for the conduct of the business of the Club and the planning of the scientific meetings. It shall consist of the Chairman, the Secretary and the Treasurer and three ordinary members elected by the Annual General Meeting. Nominations for election of the ordinary members of the Committee shall be sent in writing to the Secretary not less than one month before the Annual General Meeting.
The ordinary members of the Committee shall be appointed for one year. They shall be eligible for reappointment but shall not hold office for more than three consecutive years. One ordinary member of the Committee shall retire annually.
In the event of a vacancy occurring on the Committee during the year, this shall be filled at the next meeting of the Club, fourteen days notice having been given by the Secretary.
Meetings of the Committee shall be called by the Secretary. Three members of the Committee shall form a quorum.
5. The Chairman shall take the Chair at all Committee, Business and Scientific Meetings. In his absence the Chair shall be taken by the Secretary.
6. The Annual General Meeting and a Scientific Meeting shall be held together in London early in the New Year. There shall be at least one other Scientific Meeting during the year. Notice of the time and place of the meeting shall be sent to members by the Secretary one month previously. At the Annual General Meeting the Secretary shall present his report and the Treasurer shall present his financial report.
7. No rule of the Club shall be altered except at the Annual General Meeting or at a Special Meeting called by the Committee or at the request of at least twenty members. Notice and details of any proposed alteration of the rules shall be given at the meeting previous to the Annual or Special Meeting and a draft of such alterations shall be sent to the members from the Secretary at least fourteen days before the Annual or Special Meeting, At his meeting more than twenty members must be present and no rule shall altered unless four/fifths of those attending form the majority.
8. Any member may submit to the Committee through the Secretary the name of any person desirous of election of the Club, together with his or her qualifications for membership. The Committee may nominate such a person as a candidate for election. The names of the candidates nominated for election shall be circulated by the Secretary fourteen days before a meeting. The election of new members shall be by ballot, requiring a four/fifths majority, and shall take place at any meeting of the Club.
9. Members shall pay an annual subscription of £20. The subscription is payable in advance and is due on the 1st of January of each year.
10. Members shall be expected to attend at least one meeting a year, failing which they may be called upon by the Committee to resign.
11. No communications to the Club shall occupy more than fifteen minutes in delivery unless an extension has been approved by those present at the meeting, Communications shall not be read, but the use of notes is permissible. No subsequent speaker shall occupy more than five minutes. All material presented at meeting shall be considered to be confidential and no publication of, or reference to, such material shall be permitted without the consent of the speaker.
12. Members may introduce visitors, who may give communications, to the Scientific Meeting of the Club unless circumstances do not permit. The names of proposed visitors shall be given to the Secretary, The Committee shall have power to introduce visitors at any time.
13. All members and visitors shall, at the meetings, sign their names in the Attendance Book,.